10 weeks in Lindängen

A social innovation project, featuring librarians, stackholders, citizens and of course a lot of post-its.

Context & problematics

Lindängen is a neighborhood in Malmö that is known to have issues, due to its location and the poverty of its inhabitants. We have been introduced to it through its librarians, that wanted us to explore social innovation opportunities within and without the library.
We have spent about two months there, trying to learn to know the district, to build a trustful relationship with the people, to spot where, as designers, we could intervene.

Process

The first thing to understand when trying to deal with social issues is that you can’t basically go there and ship a prototype. The whole process of what we tried to do was to comprehend those people, and how we could empower them through some participatory design activities.

process

Thus, we basically spent the first weeks just trying to implicate ourself, participating to the daily life of the district and being useful when we could. Meanwhile, we would see and identify design opportunities that could be interesting to explore. First workshop

One of our first workshop consisted in mapping all the resources available in Lindängen. For that we asked the librarians and other stackholders to list everything that they could think of, and then link that material to the personae they also had made.

In parallel to this field study phase, we decided to prototype and test small interventions that presented our ideas to the librarians and the other actors, helping them to understand what we could bring, and involve them in the code sign process. Each iteration formalized our ideas more and was based on the feedback from the previous one : we focused on passing on the ideas to the actors that would have the possibility to make it happen for real. Workshop with kids

Involving stackholders as well as users in prototyping phases. Here, a poster creation workshop exploring people interests and remixing library media.

The idea

The library had this planned rebuilt, and we seized this opportunity to create and test a ‘Remixing space’ within the Library. The core of the idea was its modularity, and the involvement of the citizens. Each one of its components would be brought by the codesign process between librarians and citizens, changing the role of the library to a space where everyone can participate and contribute to the commons. The idea illustrated

We chose to produce some images to illustrate the principles : modular, contributive and personalized, I designed them to be 'not too fancy' and more appropriable.

The deliverables

We summarized our core around six different scenarios, including our findings from the field study, and opening various leads to follow, depending contexts and involved future stakeholders. These documents came with a written report, that enable us to be transparent presenting our process and the ways we worked.
final workshop

To deliver the documents, we organized a workshop where the librarians were invited to deconstruct and rebuilt each scenario.

For all that documents, I designed a graphic system supporting the comprehension of our process : each printed material was designed as a user manual. scenario

printed material

In addition to the report and the scenarios, we provided a toolkit as a support for the creation of new scenarios. The whole system was designed to make them understand how we worked as designers and to give them ideas to 'design' on their own.

This project has been done in partnership with Simon Theis Hansen.